Hello Readers, Hope you are doing fine. As we all know that the pandemic is hitting on very hard. And still it will do a lot of damage. However, we are taking care of ourselves by wearing masks and using sanitizers and using soap and water. But is it still enough? its not, right? Cause you need to take special care of your eyes, not just because because of virus, but also excessive use of smartphones, laptop etc during these times. So, the care of eyes does not need to be reason due to Covid-19, Its should be done all the time. However, lets focus on how to take special care of your eyes during Covid-19 situation.
- If you have a cough or a fever, or have been in close contact with someone who has these symptoms, you must call your doctor’s office ahead of time and let them know. If your visit is not an emergency, you may need to stay home.
- If you arrive sick, your doctor may ask you to return home. If you have a problem that cannot wait to be seen, you will be asked to wait in a special room away from other patients. The clinic staff and your physician may wear additional protective equipment, such as gowns and gloves.
- If you need to cough or sneeze during your exam, move back from the slit lamp microscope machine. Bury your face in the crook of your arm or cover your face with a tissue. Wash your hands with soap and water right away.
How can Covid-19 affect your eyes?
The coronavirus can spread through the eyes, just as it does through the mouth or nose. When someone who has coronavirus coughs, sneezes, or talks, virus particles can spray from their mouth or nose onto your face. You are likely to breathe these tiny droplets in through your mouth or nose. But the droplets can also enter your body through your eyes. You can also become infected by touching your eyes after touching something that has the virus on it.
Protect your eyes during Covid-19
“It’s important to remember that although there is a lot of concern about coronavirus, common sense precautions can significantly reduce your risk of getting infected. So wash your hands a lot, follow good contact lens hygiene and avoid touching or rubbing your nose, mouth and especially your eyes.”Sonal Tuli, MD, a spokesperson for the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Stop using contact lenses, switch to glasses as soon as possible
- Use of normal glasses with no power also adds a layer of protection
- Make sure to have enough eye medicines as prescribed.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Last bot not the least practice safe hygiene and follow social distancing
Together we can break the chain of Covid-19 Virus. Lets take a moment to pray for the souls out there fighting with it. Lets take a minute to appreciate the front-line workers who are working hard to stop the spread of virus.